Thursday, July 22, 2004

A Man Runs For A Train

A man runs for a train at Etchingham, in East Sussex. The train starts as the man clambers aboard and tumbles into a seat. His fellow passengers applaud him and make encouraging remarks.
Minutes later a guard appears. His voice betrays his anger. He takes his job very seriously. Who jumped aboard the train at the station when the train was moving? he asks.
Everyone looks blank. Everyone shrugs. No one in this carriage, mate, says a man in a yellow jacket. You must have imagined it.
After the guard has gone the yellow-jacket man gives the late passenger a small badge. The print is tiny, though, and, what with the motion of the train, the lack of light and my poor eyesight, It’s impossible to read from where I’m sitting.

6 comments:

Wastedpapiers said...

Was it our old mate Paul Jackson? he lives in Etchingham and runs for the train every day. Would'nt it be funny if it was!
I think the little badge says " You Are here"

Roger Stevens said...

Paul Jackson? I don't think I know him.

The badge could have said that. Any other suggestions?

Roger Stevens said...

Yeah. Or I AM SIX

hazel said...

I'm surprised to don't know paul jackson (art nahpro?) as he's been doing mail art almost as long as me.

Wastedpapiers said...

fascinating paul. I didnt realise Etchingham was full of such historical tid-bits.

Wastedpapiers said...

So, the penny has just dropped! You are the man in the yellow jacket?